July was all about public projects, but we're taking time in August to get our habits back on track!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I'm also grateful to Joe, Jessica Wilkins, Meg, and Ramón for their advice on my conference talk a few weeks ago at a Tuesday VC chat."
"I'm grateful for Ray for his time explaining API to me. And I'm grateful for VC."
"I'm so grateful to be a part of VC."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Build in Public!
Last month the community took on the challenge of sharing our unfinished works! As a community, we talked about our works in progress, the things we wanted to complete, the things that we were stuck on. We celebrated wins where we could, the power of incremental change. A special thank you to all the people who participated.
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Healthy Habits!
This challenge is all about doing some work on yourself, identifying the things that contribute to health, happiness, and forward progress in your life, and building back the habits that make them sustainable. It's been quite a year so far and we recognise that we can fall short of the good intentions we set for ourselves. We're tying to come together as a community and get to back to the fundamentals of good health, good habits, good attitudes, and gratitude. One of our members, the wonderful Jessica Wilkins wrote an amazing blog post called Healthy Habits for Healthy Devs to get us started! You can learn more here!
Season 8 is out!
- Reda — From Maritime Engineer to Self-Taught Front-End Developer
- Josh — The Life of a Full Time Open Source Developer
- Taiwo Yusuf — The Importance of Having a Learning Mindset
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Accountabilibuddies (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET | Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET | Every other Sundays at 1:00 PM ET)
- The Pack Hunt (Tandem Job Hunting) (Wednesdays at 2:00 PM ET)
- Feelings Friday (Fridays at 10:00 AM ET)
- Frontend Friday Folks fighting CSSBattle.dev (Fridays at 11:00 AM ET)
- Savvy Saturday Stylers Slaying CSSBattle.dev (Saturdays at 12:00 PM ET)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- Async Twitter Chat (Fridays — prompts tweeted out at 9:00 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
We're very excited to continue open membership with the support of our active volunteers! All our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
Member Content Highlights
Some of our member contents we loved in July!
- DevEx and OSS- Elevating Developer Experience through Open Source Collaboration — Bekah Hawrot Weigel
- Building Portfolio with Next.js: Migrate to App Router — Ayu Adiati
- Adding Topics (aka tags) in Astro — Jonathan Yeong
"Closed a bunch of tickets on my own, half way done with a SQL class, studying LPI certification, and reconnected with past co-workers. My mentor, manager, and team think I’m doing great."
"This win is from a week ago. My very first Hackathon turned out successful thanks to my team members. My team built FundRiser with Web3 technology and won 2 prizes. I was in charge of the front-end part. I made a React app with Tailwind on my own. It was also my first time using Tailwind, but the designs turned out really nice."
"A project I’ve been maintaining with a colleague has reached #1 on Google."
"I've finished Harvard's CS50 yesterday!"
I just wrapped up a project at work and the business requirements weren't always easy to understand but we persevered and kept asking questions till we got it and were able to build out exactly what the client wanted.
What our members are up to
- Chris J. does a weekly post for goals of the week.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Dominic Duffin co-hosts ArtTechChat on Twitter every Sunday at 1:00 PM ET.
- Ray Deck is co-hosting a vid-pod about low code/no code solutions on youtube!
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — a Remix Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Intro to Open Source — an open source course to support new contributors to open source