It's time to kick it into high gear this summer with Demoing and Building in Public!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Grateful to have this community full of amazing knowledgeable people. Highlight of my day is seeing the connectivity and helpfulness that this community displays."
"I'm super grateful for my VC family for all the support that I received, especially these last few weeks when I needed it the most!"
"I'm grateful for my family, this awesome community, and my first week at work was smooth."
"I am grateful to have found an inclusive and welcoming tech community with members willing to lend me their expertise and insight :D"
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> All About Feedback!
We spent June trying to give meaningful feedback in the community, and had a lot of discussions about what it means to give and receive critical feedback!
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months we've been trying to improve our documentation here at VC. The team continues to work hard prepping for the next phase of Virtual Coffee. We have a lot of great things planned and we can't wait to open up membership again to an even better, more supportive, more inviting community. We are still so grateful to all of you on this journey with us and eagerly looking forward to opening up membership again! If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Demoing and Building in Public!
We're challenging you to do some amazing work and share it with the world.
This is the month for sharing your interests with others. Many times, we fail to do what we set out to do and let our goals quietly escape us. But this month, we're getting ahead of that by summoning our entire support squad and sharing our goals, our progress, and our successes.
If you've got a project this month, don't keep it to yourself. You can write about it, tweet it, make videos, or just share in friendly forums and spaces, but dont keep your efforts hidden. The entire community is checking in every day!
You can check out our monthly challenge page for more ideas on how to get started with our empathetic feedback challenge.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Hosting Github Pages With Github Actions with Jörn Bernhardt — Friday 8th at 12:00 PM ET
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday at 1:00 PM ET on the first and third weeks of the month)
- VC Toastmasters (Every other Monday at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET - see #indie-startup-hackers)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms.
Member Blogpost Highlights
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote last month!
- Logging, middlewares and migrating Image Manipulation functions into a Services file — Chad Stewart
- Consuming the Deepgram API: The GraphQL Edit — Lucia Cerchie
- Debugging Transaction Issues In MariaDB — Brian Meeker
- a11y-twitter: a browser extension for making Tweets more accessible — Nick Taylor
As always, shout-out to all our members celebrating new roles this month!
"I did it, I made it to 1 year of coding in the 100DaysOfCode Challenge!"
"WIN: I'm officially the company CTO!"
"Finishing up with my MIT certification this week and just got my acceptance into Product Management School!"
"Today is my first day ever as a salaried employee in tech!"
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology