It's time to support each other. After a month of community kindness, it's time to turn it up a notch with some quality feedback!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I am grateful for Tommy who always makes time to help me out when I need it and for checking in on me when I'm sick. He's a real G!"
"I'm grateful for Dan and all he quietly does for the community."
"Grateful for Jennifer who helped me get my current job (which I’ve been loving), told me about this Slack (which I’m loving) and is now helping me do more pushups than I ever thought I’d do in a day!"
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> All About Kindness!
We spent the month of May focusing on what really matters; our wonderful community members. It's good to tell the people who have supported you how much that means to you and it was amazing to hear all the wonderful acts of kindness being performed in this community every day!
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months we've been trying to improve our documentation here at VC. The team continues to work hard prepping for the next phase of Virtual Coffee. We have a lot of great things planned and we can't wait to open up membership again to an even better, more supportive, more inviting community. We are still so grateful to all of you on this journey with us and eagerly looking forward to opening up membership again! If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Giving Meaningful and Empathetic Feedback!
We're challenging you to both give and accept feedback from others.
When we care about our community members, we can offer empathetic responses that are honest and allow them to grow and to fix a problem. Sometimes these conversations are hard. But sometimes we need hard conversations to help us grow. Let's approach each other with kindness and honesty, and allow this kind of feedback to be a regular part of our process.
For this month's challenge we both need people asking for feedback and people giving feedback! If you need feedback on content or code, please post in the #monthly-challenge channel. It could be on a blog post, an idea, a coding project/PR, a talk, an interview, or whatever you could use feedback on.
You can check out our monthly challenge page for more ideas on how to get started with our empathetic feedback challenge.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday, June 1st and 15th, at 1:00 PM ET)
- VC Toastmasters (Monday, June 6th and 20th, at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Wednesday, June 1st, 15th, and 29th, at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms.
Member Blogpost Highlights
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote to kick the year off!
- A Front-End Engineer’s Journey into Back-End Engineering — Chad Stewart
- Automate syndication of your content with Eleventy, dev.to, and GitHub Actions — Nick Taylor
- Web Development === Accessibility — Abbey Perini
As always, shout-out to all our members celebrating new roles this month!
And shout out to all those who got to attend the Remixconf and RenderATL conferences together!
"Went to my very-first-ever in-person meetup and made some contacts today, am now slated to give my very-first-ever in-person talk in 2 weeks!"
"I was on the CodeNewbie podcast"
"What I fully intend to be my final book is finally in print."
"Today marks 30 days at my new job!"
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology