Hey, fellow Open Source Contributors!
September was Preptember, getting ready for our open source efforts but now it's finally here. It's HACKTOBERFEST!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Folks in this community and the node.js community have been very helpful to me and I just... yeah. Super appreciate it."
"I'm grateful for Virtual Coffee's Preptember kickoff. I forgot about it this year, and I'm really impressed by all of the amazing documentation that Virtual Coffee has put together."
"I'm grateful for Dominic for our collaboration times and for having my back."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Preptember!
We spent the whole month getting ready for Hacktoberfest. Our monthly challenge team put together a whole slew of resources, talks, and prompts to help folks get started.
Hacktoberfest is HERE
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Hacktoberfest and Open Source!
The Virtual Coffee Hacktoberfest Initiative is live and we're ready to rumble! We're kicking of on October 2nd, and looking forward to seeing how the community works together. As always, we're super proud of our mentors, maintainers, and contributors for choosing to participate.
Shoutout to two of our volunteers, Dominic Duffin and Ayu Adiati, for their amazing work getting the community ready for the season!
Season 9 is out!
- Ayu & Dominic — Hacktoberfest is Coming, Preptember is Here!
- OSS Book Review: Nadia Eghbal's Working in Public — The Making and Maintenance of Open Source Software
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Accountabilibuddies (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET | Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET | Every other Sundays at 1:00 PM ET)
- The Pack Hunt (Tandem Job Hunting) (Wednesdays at 2:00 PM ET)
- Feelings Friday (Fridays at 10:00 AM ET)
- Frontend Friday Folks fighting CSSBattle.dev (Fridays at 11:00 AM ET)
- Savvy Saturday Stylers Slaying CSSBattle.dev (Saturdays at 12:00 PM ET)
📅 Weekly Async Events
- Mondays: Goal-setting post in
- Tuesdays: Trivia in
- Wednesdays: Midweek check-in in
- Thursdays: New book club questions for Cracking the Coding Interview on GitHub in
- Fridays: X (formerly Twitter) chat and gratitude post in
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- Async X (formerly Twitter) chat (Fridays — prompts tweeted out at 9:00 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC
#announcements Slack channel or other noted channels for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
We're very excited to continue open membership with the support of our active volunteers! All our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some of our open roles!
Member Content Highlights
Some of our member contents we loved in September!
- How to Participate in Hacktoberfest — Bekah Hawrot Weigel
- How to Contribute to Open Source Projects – Non-Technical Things You Should Know — Ayu Adiati
- Supercharge your Repository with Code Owners — Nick Taylor
- Demystifying Trunk-Based Development — Chris DeMars
"I just finished writing the last section for the alpha draft of my book on public speaking."
"I just got accepted to be a writer at freeCodeCamp!"
"Won my first-ever solo hackathon."
I finished my bootcamp course (Node.js) last week.
I've been accepted into the University of Colorado - Boulder's Post Baccalaureate Applied Computer Science program!
Some big news! I’m going to be working with Bekah!!!!!
I am now a Postman Supernova.
What our members are up to
- Chris Jarvis does a weekly post for goals of the week.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Dominic Duffin co-hosts ArtTechChat on X (formerly Twitter) every Sunday at 1:00 PM ET.
- Ray Deck is co-hosting a vid-pod about low code/no code solutions on YouTube!
Open Source Projects (Hacktoberfest Approved)
- VirtualCoffee.io — a Remix Web App for our community created by Dan Ott.
- Virtual Coffee / podcast transcipts— SRT files for the Virtual Coffee Podcast episodes.
- FreeCodeCamps's Developer Quiz Site — A newbie friendly repo that frequently accepts OSS contributions.
- EddieHubCommunity's BioDrop — Connect to your audience with a single link. Showcase the content you create and your projects in one place. Make it easier for people to find, follow and subscribe.
- Intro to Open Source — An introduction to open source and guide through the process of contributing to projects.
- GuestBook — The place where future contributors are born.
- PizzaVerse — A beginner-friendly repository for all things pizza.
- Python Turtle Art Canvas — The aim of this project is to create a collaborative piece of creative coding using Python Turtle Graphics.
- Hacktoberfest How To — Hugo blog template for Hacktoberfest HOW-TO.
- Forem — For Empowering Community.
- Django Link-In-Bio Tool — A link-in-bio tool like Linktree that allows you to create a webpage with all your links in one place.
- Classic Memory Game — Memory card game from 1968.
- Tiny Troves of Dev Wisdom — A small Unity 2D game made for Hacktoberfest 2023.
- Elm TTRPG Session — A session manager, ttrpg character builder, and dice roller built with Elm and Lamdera.