June was all about reflection and learnings, but we're back in action in July, sharing our work with the community around us!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I'm grateful for my VC family and all communities that have been supporting me to grow."
"I am grateful for the gorgeous mild high 70s weather my area of the world is experiencing right now. I am also grateful to have joined this VC community this week!"
"I’m grateful for having a job I enjoy, all my VC friends who have been so supportive, and my family."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Reflection!
Last month the community took some time to reflect, recuperate and recenter ourselves for the rest of the year. We took stock of our achievements for the year, identified spaces where we could improve, and figured out the necessary steps for further growth. Most importantly, we sought feedback and support from each other while doing so.
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Build in Public!
Build in Public! This challenge is all about sharing your efforts as you make progress! This is the month for revealing the things you're actively working on as you build them up. Anyone can showcase a final product but there's real vulnerability in showing yourself in the weeds, doing the hard parts. Writing, streaming, Github links, review sessions, do what you can to get your work out there. If you don't want to go full public eye, you can always just stick to your handy dandy VC crew of compatriots. Don't be scared to share! We always appreciate each other's endeavours. You can learn more here!
🍔 Lunch & Learn
- Creating a Feedback Culture: The Key to Personal and Professional Growth with Bekah Hawrot Weigel (Wednesday, July 12 at 12:00 PM ET)
Season 8 is out!
- Caitlin Floyd — Mentorship
- Carmen — Tech Industry Friendships: Leveraging Connections for Growth, Challenges, and Opportunities and DevOps!
- Alex Curtis-Slep — Enriching Your Life as a Developer
- VC Maintainers — Importance of Culture Citizenship
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Accountabilibuddies (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET | Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET | Every other Sundays at 1:00 PM ET)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
- The Pack Hunt (Tandem Job Hunting) (Wednesdays at 2:00 PM ET)
- Feelings Friday (Fridays at 10:00 AM ET)
- Frontend Friday Folks fighting CSSBattle.dev (Fridays at 11:00 AM ET | Saturdays at 12:00 PM ET)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- Async Twitter Chat (Fridays — prompts tweeted out at 9:00 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
We're very excited to continue open membership with the support of our active volunteers! All our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
Member Content Highlights
Some of our member contents we loved in June!
"I've recently started a new full-time role! I am the new Communications Manager at Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC)."
"Had the best stream ever in terms of engagement today! Feels good."
"Successfully hosted a 3½hr teams call with presentations from 8 different teams, 50+ attendees and 2 guest speakers and it ran to time with 10 minutes to spare."
"WIN: Attending my first conference this week!"
Yayyy I was promoted to staff developer today!
What our members are up to
- Chris J. does a weekly post for goals of the week.
- Ayu shared her journey into tech and the Power of Communities on the Women Who Code podcast.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Newsletter alert! Code as Gardening: The Rise of AI — Vic Vijayakumar.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
- Dominic Duffin co-hosts ArtTechChat on Twitter every Sunday at 1:00 PM ET.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — a Remix Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Intro to Open Source — an open source course to support new contributors to open source