Hacktoberfest was amazing but now it's time to share not just our time and code, but our ideas and dreams! It's time to write!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I am so grateful for this community and everything that everyone here continues to do to make this community and the larger tech world a kinder, more inclusive, and more positive place."
"Late to respond, but I'm always grateful for this community. I have so many great friendships here even though we've never met... yet."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> Hacktoberfest!
We spent October doing all things Hacktoberfest. We're so proud of the community for coming together on another successful Hacktoberfest in every way. Thank you to all the maintainers, mentors, and contributors who participated, and a special thanks to those who helped on the Virtual Coffee website.
November -> NaNoWriMo Writing Challenge!
This month we're working together to blog 100,000 words! Based off the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) Challenge, we'll be doing the tech take on writing and working together towards the goal while posting on our own blogs. And since we hit over 125,000 words last year, we're going to start this year's challenge big with a goal of 100k words.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking Room (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday at 1:00 PM ET on the first and third weeks of the month)
- VC Public Speaking Support Group (Every other Monday at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- TypeScript Tuesday (Tuesdays at 2:00 PM ET on Twitch)
🍔 Lunch & Learn
- Lunch & Learn: Writing Month Kickoff (Friday, November 4th, 1:30 PM ET)
- Lunch & Learn: Bite-Sized Computer Science Fundamentals: Number Representations (Friday, November 18th, 12:00 PM ET)
- Lunch & Learn: Implementing Feature Flags (Friday, November 25th, 12:00 PM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months, we've been trying to improve our documentation and support here at VC. We're very excited to be opening up membership! All of our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
We're back with Season 6 of the podcast!
- Shelley McHardy — Junior Dev life
- Season Six Finale — Talking Hacktoberfest with Bekah, Dan, and Kirk
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote last month!
- Repurposing Content for Content Creation — Nick Taylor
- Migrating The TechIsHiring Twitter Bot — Chad R. Stewart
- CSS Halloween: Eyes See You. — Chris Jarvis
"Just had my talk accepted to a second online conf!"
"Just gave a meetup talk and got complimented by someone on Open-sourced learning."
"Did a sprint on my birthday to make a fun project and I made it with like a few minutes left!"
"My team was complimenting me during todays stand up."
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology