It's time to keep ourselves steady with some Healthy Habits in August!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Today was the first time demo-ing an app I've built to a live audience. I'm grateful to VC for providing that opportunity!"
"Grateful for Julia and Marie for all the feedback in April!"
"Whenever I'm reading a book about some bit of the tech industry it reminds me how grateful I am to be part of this bit of the industry here, where people are kind and supportive, even towards people working on projects other than the specific ones they favour."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> All About Building in Public!
We spent July working on our projects and sharing that process with compatriots and well-wishers. Shout out to all the VC members who showed off what they did on demo day!
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months, we've been trying to improve our documentation and support here at VC. We're very excited to be opening up membership! All of our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Healthy Habits for Happy Devs!
This month's challenge is all about nourishing our bodies, minds, and spirits so that we can become healthier developers.
Build a new habit that will make you a healthier dev, this can be mind and body-centered (drink, move, read, meditate, rearrange your work station) or code-centered (review your ReadMe, clean your code, refresh your GitHub repo) or both.
Set the goal for yourself this month and define what successfully completing the challenge looks like. For example, could be something like: review the README in 5 of your projects (one every week) or run 2k twice a week.
You can check out our monthly challenge page for more ideas on on getting started with our sharing challenge.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday at 1:00 PM ET on the first and third weeks of the month)
- VC Public Speaking Support Group (Every other Monday at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET - see #indie-startup-hackers)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms.
Lunch & Learn Sessions
We've had some amazing L&L's lately! Here's our latest.
- What’s The Goal? Give Feedback That Gets You Closer! — Julia Seidman
- Cheap hosting with GitHub Pages and Actions — Jörn Bernhardt
- Parallels Between Fight Training and A Coding Bootcamp — Safety Vest
We're back with Season 6 of the podcast!
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote last month!
- Living on the Edge: Using Vercel’s Middleware and GraphQL — Lucia Cerchie
- What is Deno? — Nick Taylor
- The Power Of Persuasion: Negotiation For Techies — Suze Shardlow
As always, shout-out to all our members celebrating new roles this month!
"You guys…I built my first “project” project (as in, not lesson challenges and homework) with JS!"
"Finishing up and prepping to demo the first big feature I've owned at my current job. It has been a looong process. it feels so good to finally make it to the end stages!"
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology