It's time to support each other. After a month of job prep, it's time to touch base with some community work!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"The community made me feel very special this week!"
"Grateful for having family and community supporting my projects. Finally get a break in life to continue my education/professional development."
"This is truly the thing I value most about this community is that while we are all technical people, here together we are people first."
"I freaking love this community!... Its welcoming, helpful, and fun."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> All About Job Prep!
We spent the month of April getting resume's reviewed and working on our portfolio sites. Teamwork makes the dream work, and sometimes it takes a whole community to get yourself in the right place for your next round of job searching.
Lightning talks! ⚡
We can an amazing lightning talk event last month and we want to express our gratitude to everyone involved; our brave speakers, but also our volunteers, and all the supportive viewers! You can view all the talks here!
VC Phase Three Update
The team continues to work hard prepping for the next phase of Virtual Coffee. We have a lot of great things planned and we can't wait to open up membership again to an even better, more supportive, more inviting community. We are still so grateful to all of you on this journey with us and eagerly looking forward to opening up membership again!
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months we've been trying to improve our documentation here at VC. he team continues to work hard prepping for the next phase of Virtual Coffee. We have a lot of great things planned and we can't wait to open up membership again to an even better, more supportive, more inviting community. We are still so grateful to all of you on this journey with us and eagerly looking forward to opening up membership again! If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Community Kindness: Let's connect!
Making connections, practicing gratitude, finding commonalities!
It's never too late to celebrate the community, and yourself in it. This month we're focusing especially on doing kind works in the community. Whether that means helping someone solve a coding problem, sharing your experiences, or just giving thanks for the support.
The thing that makes us great isn't the languages we write or the code we ship, it's our personalities and how we use our precious time to share good moments with each other. So if you've been feeling a sense of disconnect, or worry, feel free to use the next few weeks to find joy through helping others.
You can check out our monthly challenge page for more ideas on how to get started with our community kindness challenge.
💡 Lunch and Learns
- Asking Coding Questions with Bekah and Nick — Friday, May 27th, at 12:00 PM ET
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Fridays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday, May 18th, at 1:00 PM ET)
- VC Toastmasters (Monday, May 9th, at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Wednesday, May 4th and May 18th, at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms.
Member Blogpost Highlights
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote to kick the year off!
- Welcome Back to In-Person Conferences — Gant Laborde
- CSS Color Gradients — Chris Jarvis
- A series on Tech Jargon — Lucia Cerchie
- Two Ways to Get Noticed in the Tech Job Hunt — Alex Curtis-Slep
As always, shout-out to all our members celebrating new roles this month!
And an extra special shout out to those who participated in our lightning talks!
"Completed my first week at my new job"
"I am super proud of myself building this Pomodoro Timer! Mainly from just my mind!"
"Got my first PR merged at work today!"
"Win: Had my first online presentation and Lightning Talk"
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology