April was all about sharing the love and May is all about sharing the cursor! We're gonna be pair programming at VC this month!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"As a new member here its obvious! I am grateful for this community and the welcoming spirit of all!"
"Grateful for this community; sometimes looking forward to our chats gets me through the week."
"I am immensely grateful to the VC maintainers who work tirelessly to ensure its smooth functioning."
"I'm grateful for Virtual Coffee and the opportunity to give a lunch and learn to my friends this morning."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Gratitude!
Last month we really tried to spread the love around, acknowledging all the wonderful people who make this space great! Sometimes we need to remember that the most healing and restorative thing you do for yourself is to share gratitude and support to the people around you! Thank you to all the members who reached out to others and brought more positivity to the space!
💡Monthly Theme & Challenge: Month of Pairing!
This month we are Pair Programming! That means we are teaming up with each other all month to write code together. Zoom tuple, Skype, whatever you'd like. Pair programming is a great way to learn from each other and solve problems and we're taking it one step further by seeing if we can get as many pairings as possible as community!
For this challenge, members are challenged to hit 5 pairing sessions per person. Some ways to get started pairing are on an open-source issue, a LeetCode problem, or a project they need help on.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Accountabilibuddies (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET, Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET, and every other Sundays at 1:00 PM ET)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
- The Pack Hunt (Tandem Job Hunting) (Wednesdays at 2:00 PM ET)
- Frontend Friday Folks fighting CSSBattle.dev (Fridays at 2:00 PM ET)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- TypeScript Tuesday (Tuesdays at 2:00 PM ET on Twitch)
- Async Twitter Chat (Friday, prompts tweeted out at 9:00 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
We're very excited to continue open membership with the support of our active volunteers! All our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
Member Blogpost Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in April!
- Managing Community Health Files and Templates with a GitHub Repository — Bekah Hawrot Weigel
- Creating database-driven Astro sites with the Tigris Astro integration — Michael Jolley
- Dark-Mode Toggle and Prefers Color Scheme — Abbey Perini
- How Objective-C Made Me a Versatile Software Engineer — Ramón Huidobro
"Decided to try and make a new personal website this morning and succeeded!"
"I just got invited to my first ever software dev job interview!!!"
"I gave my first conference talk!"
"I start my new job as Developer Experience Lead"
What our members are up to
- Chris J. does a weekly post for goals of the week.
- Ayu shared her journey into tech and the Power of Communities on the Women Who Code podcast.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Newsletter alert! Code as Gardening: The Rise of AI — Vic Vijayakumar.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
- Dominic Duffin co-hosts ArtTechChat on Twitter every Sunday at 1:00 PM ET.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — a Remix Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology
- Postpartum Wellness App — a React Native App by Bekah HW