Hey VC family!
Last month we focused on getting ready for the job hunt. Now it's time to speak up and share your interests. We're wrapping up the month with one of our favourite events of the year, Lightning Talks!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I am grateful for my new job I started this week. I found it via Alex here at VC"
"I’m grateful for Mark being in my breakout room yesterday and bringing up instruments and music."
"I'm grateful for being able to spend some nights at the coworking room (after ages) and be with friends. And I'm always grateful for my VC family."
"I'm grateful for Virtual Coffee! You are all rockstars!"
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> Month of Job Readiness Challenge!
Last month we got all things job ready by working on resumes, personal sites, elevator pitches. Shoutout to all our participants and oragnizers who made it all happen!
March -> Public Speaking!
It's time to speak up!
Public speaking is consistency listed as one of people's biggest fears. Here at Virtual Coffee, we think one of the big steps to becoming comfortable speaking in public is having a supportive environment and doing tough things together! At the end of the month we'll be having our annual lightning talks and we're spending the entire month learning about how to share our stories and insights through speech.
So if you've been interesting in practicing a talk, planning a talk, or just sharing some amazing stories, this is the time!
Check out the #monthly-challenge channel in the Slack for more details!
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Accountabilibuddies (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET, Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET, and every other Sundays at 1:00 PM ET)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
- Frontend Friday Folks fighting CSSBattle.dev (Fridays at 2:00 PM ET)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- TypeScript Tuesday (Tuesdays at 2:00 PM ET on Twitch)
- Async Twitter Chat (Friday, prompts tweeted out at 9:00 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
We're very excited to continue open membership with the support of our active volunteers! All our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
Here are some of the awesome content our members produced!
- How to choose an eCommerce platform? — Dominic Duffin
- I Hardcoded My Portfolio Website — 8/10 Would Make This Mistake Again! — Kai Katschthaler
- Audience vs Community — Bekah Hawrot Weigel
- From Research to Writing Reference Material — Abbey Perini
- Terraform Plugin Framework: Optional Attributes with Defaults — David Alpert
"Done my first talk in a while, yay! good way to get back into it all."
"Finally managed to get NgRx properly integrated into my project. Took forever but now it works."
"The freeCodeCamp blog post on our Bad Website Club learning project is finally live and I am beyond elated."
"Only 3.5 months into my new job and my boss already wants to officially make me the tech lead on the team. I've unofficially had that role on many teams in the past, but it's nice to be getting it officially for the first time."
What our members are up to
🎤 The Virtual Coffee Podcast (Season Seven)
- Jörn Bernhardt — Becoming a Founder
- Joe Karow — Career Transitions and the ADHD Experience
- Kai Katschthaler — Technical Writing & Neurodiverse Learning
- Aishwarya Mali — A Journey into Open Source
- Rebecca Key — From PhD to Frontend
📺 Ongoing Content
Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Andrew Harper, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Newsletter alert! Code as Gardening: The Rise of AI — Vic Vijayakumar
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
- Dominic Duffin co-hosts ArtTechChat on Twitter every Sunday at 1:00 PM ET.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — a Remix Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology
- Postpartum Wellness App — a React Native App by Bekah HW