NaNoWriMo was a blast and the community did so so much but now it's time to focus in on the activities we do Just For Us with Community Creativity!
💞 Kindness and Gratitude
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Friday is gratitude day at @VirtualCoffeeIO & I'm always grateful to be part of the family."
"I am grateful to Tom hopping into the #co-working-room and helping prompt a new line of investigation that led me to discover an edge case in AWS routing that had been causing a bug for several weeks."
"I’m grateful for the carrot to my stick, Raynald, for once again leading a Thursday Accountabilibuddies session when I had a conflict."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> NaNoWriMo!
Last month we hit 106,978 words during our writing challenge as part of NaNoWriMo. Thank you and congratulations to everyone who participated and a special shoutout to this year's top writer, Abbey Perini! You can see the details of the challenge and all those who helped on the Virtual Coffee website.
December -> Creative Community Challenge!!
Devs are more than just the code we write. This month is all about embracing self-expression. Give back to yourself by indulging in something just for fun. Share the art, music, poetry, sports, games, or any other hobbies that spark joy for you. We spend so much time grinding away on understanding things in the tech space.Let's make some space for the other parts of ourselves.
We're encouraging folks to spend time this month working on things that aren't necessarily code specific, or using code to improve other hobbies and outlets. Let the rest of VC know what you've got going on. You don't have to share your work, but we'd love to see and celebrate your achievements. It can also be a great time to explore new hobbies and activities. If someone is doing something you're interested in, this is the month to learn more and maybe give it a try. Check out the Virtual Coffee website for more details!
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking Room (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday at 1:00 PM ET on the first and third weeks of the month)
- VC Public Speaking Support Group (Every other Monday at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- TypeScript Tuesday (Tuesdays at 2:00 PM ET on Twitch)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months, we've been trying to improve our documentation and support here at VC. We're very excited to be opening up membership! All of our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote last month!
- What Makes You Stay In A Community? — Ayu Adiati
- Speech Racer: My first hackathon project — Bekah HW
"The startup I work for onboarded our first users today!"
"Gave my talk at Pyjamas Conf today!"
"WIN: The article I wrote last night got picked up by an Obsidian newsletter."
"Surpassed 150,000 total post views and 3,000 followers on DEV with my series for the monthly challenge."
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology