It's time to get our open source on! Hacktoberfest is HERE.
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Just wanted to say how much I love the folks here. All the good things in my life are better because of you all, either directly or indirectly. And this is where I've made the most friends in a long time."
"I love and appreciate you all and thank you for helping me as a person."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
Monthly challenge -> Hacktoberfest Prep!
We spent September getting ready for Hacktoberfest contributions. Some folks are going to be hosting their own projects as maintainers, and have been making their repos as accessible as possible. Others are getting ready for their first time contributions or gearing up for more work in their favourite projects. Some people just want to help, and signed up to be mentors and supporters for the OSS contributors.
October -> Hacktober!
Virtual Coffee is tackling Hacktoberfest 2022 at full force and we want our Virtual Coffee members to join us!
Hacktoberfest is a month-long virtual event that encourages and supports open-source contributions. Open Source Software (OSS) is code that the public can view, contribute to, and use. Sponsored by Digital Ocean, a contributor can qualify for the official Hacktoberfest swag by registering and making four pull requests (PRs) between October 1-31.
Our plan is to harness the power in our community to help developers become excited about contributing to Open Source Software, and to contribute to some of our favourite Open Source repositories along the way.
Because not everyone will need the same level or type of support, we're working to accommodate as many needs as possible. This could include 1:1 mentorship, access to private Slack channels, a group coding session, a review of the project you're using for Hacktoberfest, or general community support. We're also here to cheer you on throughout the month, whether on social media, through our events, or Slack.
Whether you want to be a contributor, a project maintainer, or a mentor, we have a place for you! You can sign up with Virtual Coffee's Hacktoberfest initiative here.
☕🪑 Coffee Table Events
- Tech Interview Study Group (Mondays at 4:00 PM ET)
- Job Seekers Coworking Room (Tuesdays at 7:00 PM ET and Thursdays at 9:00 AM ET)
- React/JS Meetup (Wednesday at 1:00 PM ET on the first and third weeks of the month)
- VC Public Speaking Support Group (Every other Monday at 12:00 PM ET — see #content-creation)
- Indie-startup hackers (Every other Wednesday at 12:00 PM ET — see #indie-startup-hackers)
☕ Official Virtual Coffee Events
- Virtual Coffee (Tuesdays at 9:00 AM ET | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET)
- TypeScript Tuesday (Tuesdays at 2:00 PM ET on Twitch)
🍔 Lunch & Learn
- Lunch & Learn: I Am Not The Product (Friday, October 21st, 12:00 PM ET)
- Lunch & Learn: Building A Custom React Renderer (Monday, October 24th, 12:00 PM ET)
- Lunch & Learn: Deceptive Patterns (Friday, October 28th, 09:30 AM ET)
Note: These are the currently scheduled times for these events at the time of this publication. Please check the official VC #announcements Slack channel, or other noted channels, for any updates and links to event rooms. For the full list of events, check out our events page.
Volunteering at VC
Over the last few months, we've been trying to improve our documentation and support here at VC. We're very excited to be opening up membership! All of our active volunteers have an invite to send out to someone interested in joining Virtual Coffee. If you're interested in joining the volunteer team, check out some the roles here!
We're back with Season 6 of the podcast!
- Chad Stewart — OSS and #TechisHiring
- Julia Seidman — Embracing the Careen Over the Career
- Ryan Kahn — Building Better Teams
Here's some of the awesome articles our members wrote last month!
- Flipping Tiles With Angular and Tailwind — Brian Meeker
- Hacktoberfest 2022: Preptember! — Nick Taylor
- How I Started Contributing to Open Source — Klesta L
- Mini Portfolio: Bring Your GitHub Profile To The Next Level — Ayu Adiati
"Just merged my first PR at work, something I wrote, as a developer, for real life!"
"Win: at the Atlanta Developers Conference yesterday I met somebody who had seen my talk about accessibility last year, he came up and said he came in knowing nothing about accessibility but has been using the resources from my slides all year at his job and is getting better all the time."
"First PR made at my new job"
"WIN: I got featured in my local newspaper today."
Also, special mention to Ayu Adiati's amazing new github profile!
What our members are up to
- Check out some of our resident streamers: Bekah, Nick, Jono, Arthur, and Ian.
- Nick Taylor's newsletter keeps you up to date with the hot topics in tech.
- Lucia Cerchie's newsletter is a breath of fresh air in the tech space.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io — an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Regex Parser — a regular expression parser project by Amy Shackles
- DRONE — a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology