We had a ton of fun in December doing some non coding activities (especially fiber arts) but now we're ready to start learning again!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"So grateful for this community. I know I have been a lot less active in slack since I changed jobs but I really appreciate those who have checked in on me, and for remembering me when I do manage to pop on to a coffee! also grateful for a job that allows for work life balance and the health of my family and myself."
"I'm super grateful to have found this community! You are all the best!"
"I'm grateful for this community, the friendships that have deepened here, the support I've received. For my family, having quality time to spend with them, and for having what I need to take care of them."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Creative Community
We spent the month of December embracing our non-technical sides, showing off all the other fun activities in our lives outside of technology.
- New members: 25 new members
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Month of Learning! !
During this month, we'll work on learning new dev-related things. You might deep-dive into one topic, start a small-group that focuses on community learning, focus on a new topic every week, or do a little bit of everything.
Season 4 of the podcast wrapped up!
🥪 Member Events
These are members-only events that last for 45 - 90 minutes.
- Jan 7, 09:00am EST: Lunch & Learn: The Collab Lab: Project Collaboration Program - Ayu Adiati, Andrea Martz, Fatima Olasunkanmi-ojo, Jennifer Toops
** Link for the Lunch & Learns can be found in slack about 15 minutes before the event and the descriptions can be found at virtualcoffee.io/events
Member Blogpost Highlights
This month, we decided to do a highlight reel of some of the posts we've loved over the year!
- January — Choose your own adventure to break into web development — Andy Stitt
- February — TIGEW: MySQL Views — Sara McCombs
- March — Why Every Developer Should Care About Documentation — Joshua Tzucker
- April — Don't Ever Give Up — Todd Libby
- May — Systems thinking & chess: When the iceberg model has 64 squares - Jessi Sharkarian
- June — Optimizing pull request for developer happiness — Mohamed Rafi
- July — A Step-By-Step Process for Turning Designs Into Code — Mark Noonan
- August — Why We Should Stop Talking About Imposter Syndrome In Tech — Jennifer Konikowski
- September — 8 Things I've Learned Working in a Legacy Codebase — Abbey Perini
- October — Retiring your side projects — Jen Kennedy
- November — Building An Address Book dApp. — Taiwo Hassan Yusuf
- December — My family solves a code challenge 🎁 — Lucia Cerchie
As always, shout-out to all our members celebrating new roles this month!
"Win: FINALLY finished refactoring the testing rig at work so that it instantiates the part of the application my team owns properly."
"I was accepted to a scholarship program to improve my skills!"
"Really excited I've released my first blog post today."
What our members are up to
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements
- DRONE - a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology