September was all about getting prepped and powered up for Hacktoberfest, and now we're finally here! Time for some success in OSS!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I'm so grateful for everyone here, and I'm so happy to see everyone's progression since I joined VC. Love my peeps!"
"I'm grateful for still nice weather, my family, Virtual Coffee, that I got accepted in The Collab Lab cohort, and being part in the process of CodeLand ❤"
"Grateful for family, tech community, Virtual Coffee friends, my bootcamp cohort, and current (good) health. Life is good."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Preptember! Gearing up for Hacktoberfest
- New members: 25 new members
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Hacktoberfest! Participate in open source, learn, and have fun!!
This month we have three tracks:
Maintainers - They provide issues labeled Hacktoberfest on their repository(ies), review the PRs for these issues, and validate and merge following the rules of the contest. They also answer the contributors' questions.
Contributors - They find issues labeled Hacktoberfest they want to solve. The goal of the contest is to have 4 PRs validated during the month of October.
Mentors - They will be paired with a mentee (contributor or maintainer). They provide support either on Slack, during a 1:1, a pairing session, or whatever works best for the team!
We also have a #hacktoberfest-co-working-room open in slack for all of our members co-working needs. Special thanks to Decentology for sponsoring our Hacktoberfest Initiative.
We successfully finished season 3 of the podcast!
🥪 Member Events
These are members-only events that last for 45 - 90 minutes.
- October 8th 12:00pm EDT: Lunch & Learn: Accessibility Audits: Tools and Tips For Auditing Your Work w/ Todd Libby
Member Blogpost Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved last month!
- MVC Architecture – What is a Model View Controller Framework? - Jessica Wilkins
- No-Code: Just The Hard Parts - Ray Deck
- What I learned after leading my first hackathon team - Jen Kennedy
- I Have Been Writing A Blog For 10 Months: Here Is My Story - Ayu Adiati
- 8 Things I've Learned Working in a Legacy Codebase - Abbey Perini
Ayu, Andrea, and Mandi will be joining the upcoming cohort of The Collab Lab.
Cristien got a big shoutout from VP of Product at her company.
Ayu, Jono, Julia, and Dan all helped to make Codeland awesome this year!
What our members are up to
- Brian creates amazing events with Certified Fresh, which is a friendly online meetup for developers. They meet at 1:00 p.m. EDT every other Friday and bring access to a ton of high-quality speakers and presenters.
- Shoutout to all our members who are working on Hacktoberfest submissions this year as part of our monthly challenge.
- Ray Deck is continuing his amazing work with CodeMentor!
- Nick Taylor has been doing an amazing job streaming with Dev.to.
Open Source Projects We Love!
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott - Our very own site!
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements.
- DRONE - a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology.
- Python Turtle Art Canvas - The aim of this project is to create a collaborative piece of creative coding using Python Turtle Graphics.
- Stepzen SpaceX GraphQL - This repository is a React app with a StepZen SpaceX endpoint consumed using Apollo. It currently displays data from the SpaceX API.
- Quarto - An implementation of the Quarto boardgame using Elm and Netlify. An exploration of game development, oss, build automation, accessiblity, and machine learning.
- Classified Ads 48 - A lightweight classified-ads web-app with maps. NodeJS + Leaflet 🗺️ + MongoDB 💽.
- Forem - Forem is open source software for building communities.
- Open Sauced - Open Sauced provides structured onboarding for new contributors to open source. This structure provides a way to track your next contributions by leveraging a unique dashboard built on top of the GitHub GraphQL API.
- Postpartum Wellness App - A React Native app to help moms monitor their well-being during the post-partum stage.