May was great and we're cruising into the middle of the year the Virtual Coffee way; supporting each other in doing all the cool things.
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"I'm grateful to Marie, Joshua, Ryan, Daniel and others who shared their job search stories this week with such frankness and vulnerability. You make this dark art less mysterious by sharing your stories, and show us all the definition of resilience. This is an amazing community!"
"Really grateful for Kirk for being my accountability partner and letting me know when too much is too much. For Ray and his humor in the #co-working-room. Julia, Karen, Andrew for being cool project partners 💕 Glen for always listening to me being the chatterbox I am in the coworking room 😅😂"
"Wanted to give a shoutout to Meg, Mike, and Nick for giving me feedback on my personal site redesign last night!!"
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Month of Feedback
- New members: 15 new members
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Month of Learning in Public!
Sometimes the best motivation is to get things done, and sometimes the best way to get your progress noticed is by communicating it to the world! This month, we're building a habit of being vocal about our training, tribulations, and triumphs by learning in public. Members are encouraged to share progress on their current projects in public forums and social media, in the VC slack and daily standups, or both!
The second half of Season Two has dropped!
- Tom Cudd - Psychological Safety and DevOps
- Courtney Landau - On Being Quiet in a Loud Tech World
- Nerando Johnson - Keeping Momentum, Community, and Socialization as a Service
- Sara McCombs - Learning to Leverage your Past Experience and Embrace Your Whole Self
- Jun 4, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: Building a Portfolio and Network with Civic Tech, presented by Mark Noonan -- a members-only event
- Jun 11, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: A Snake's Eye View of Python -- A members-only event, presented by Julia Seidman
- Jun 18, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: Taking notes w/ Rafi-- A members-only event
- Jun 25, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: Resilient Job Searching with Todd Libby -- a VC members-only event
- Jun 28, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag Session: Starting your first C# project w/ Marie A. -- a members' only event
Member Blogpost Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in May
- Systems thinking & chess: When the iceberg model has 64 squares - Jessi Sharkarian
- Building a White Labeled eSignature Flow using Django and HelloSign API - Julia Seidman
- Updating My Accessibility Skills - Christine Goldon
- Tips for Writing Good Alt Text in Html - Ayu Adiati
"I want to say a HUGE ‘thank you’ to everyone who kept me company after my dental work. I’m so overjoyed at the support and love this community shows to its members. Thank you for everyone that distracted me. "
"I feel so privileged to be part of this community. You all made me believe that I could do it, that I belong here Thank you, thank you"
"I am thankful for my friends at VC, upcoming revisions on my resume and portfolio site, decreased stress and anxiety, beautiful weather, new opportunities."
What our members are up to
We had our first conference partnership with MagnoliaJS and it was a huge success!
- Shoutout to our members Kayla Sween and Gant Laborde for being part of the organizing team of such an incredible event
- Cheers to all the members who gave talks at the event, including Sara McCombs, Bekah Hawrot Weigel, and Gant Laborde.
- Thank you to all the members who attended and participated. Your attendance truly made the event a success. Extra cheers for Mark Noonan and Ghameerah McCullers who won prizes!
Open Source Projects We Love!
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements
- Postpartum Wellness App, a React Native project by BekahHW