Monthly Theme for May, 2021: Feedback
Earlier this year, we read Radical Candor for book club. To keep the spirit of radical candor going, we're challenging you to both give and accept feedback from others.
Giving Meaningful and Empathetic Feedback
Let's work together!
When we care about our community members, we can offer empathetic responses that are honest and allow them to grow and to fix a problem. Sometimes these conversations are hard. But sometimes we need hard conversations to help us grow. Let's approach each other with kindness and honesty, and allow this kind of feedback to be a regular part of our process.
For the month of May, we're asking members to both ask for feedback and to give feedback to others. It could be on a blog post, an idea, a coding project, a talk, or whatever you could use feedback on.
And to go along with our monthly theme, let's also collect resources on how to give good feedback and post them in the #articles-and-resources channel. Don't worry, we've got it started with a list at the bottom of this page.
If you want to take a more structured approach, join the challenge in the #monthly-challenge channel!
For the challenge, we're asking you to provide feedback four times this month. For each week, we'll highlight a different opportunity for feedback--but don't let that limit you! Check out the themed weeks and post your content in the #monthly-challenge channel. When you've finished providing feedback, let's keep track of who and what you provided feedback for.
- Week 1: Code Feedback - What code are you working on, or do you have sitting in a repo that you'd like someone to look at?
- Week 2: Blog posts and Writing- Do you have some writing that needs proofreading? Do you have a concept that you've worked on, but isn't quite where you want it but you can't figure out why? Need some feedback on a ReadMe or other technical document?
- Week 3: Talks and Videos- Are you practicing a talk or have an idea for one? Did you make a video and you want some feedback before you post?
- Week 4: Wildcard- Did you miss one of the weeks or have you made updates? Do you have something that doesn't quite fit? This week is for anything you need feedback on.
- And remember, we're always here to help ❤️