Virtual Coffee Newsletter, November 2021
Get ready to write!
Year two of the Virtual Coffee Hacktoberfest Initiative was a resounding success, and we're very excited to celebrate ONE YEAR of monthly challenges!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"So grateful for this community!! I dove into hacktoberfest got the support and community I was searching for and knew I need with yall! Now because of that, I'm gonna be speaking at an IBM program!! I'm adding this to my resume, I'm so proud hahaha"
"You know what I'm thankful for the VC community. I hardly make it to any meetings as work gets in the way, but I read every message and listen to the podcasts and feel I know y'all anyway!!"
"Grateful for VC! Grateful for Courtney L as a brilliant hacktoberfest mentor and nickytonline for helping me navigate forem stuff. Also grateful for David Alpert for helping me unstuck and explaining git concepts really well"
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Month of Hacktoberfest
- New members: 25 new members
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Month of Blogging!
This month we're working together to blog 50,000 words! Based off the NanWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) Challenge, we'll be doing the tech take on writing and working together towards the goal while posting on our own blogs.
Season 4 of the podcast is here!
- Mark Noonan - Civic tech, accessibility, holding the door open for other career changers
- Jennifer Konikowski - Hot Takes on Being a Woman in Tech
- Todd Libby - Making the web equal and accessible
- Jessi Shakarian - You aren't your tech stack: sharing your passion
🥪 Member Events
These are members-only events that last for 45 - 90 minutes.
- Nov 12, 2021, 12:00pm EDT: Lunch & Learn: Getting Started with GraphQL , The How and Why w/ Lucia Cerchie
- Nov 19, 2021, 12:00pm EDT: Web 0.1 - Real Dinosaurs Use FTP! w/ Justin Noel
Member Blogpost Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in October
- I Can’t Find What I’m Looking For: Why Taxonomy Is Critical For Your Site - Jessi Shakarian
- A righteous PR - Matt Foley
- I built my first dApp! - Nick Taylor
- Retiring your side projects - Jen Kennedy
- CSS Halloween: The Code is Sus. - Chris Jarvis
"WIN: I was interviewed this morning for my 1st tech podcast talking about my journey into tech and was able to highlight this amazing community!!"
"I had my fourth HacktoberFest PR approved yesterday. ThisDot lab retweeted my tweet about it. The last PR was for them. I've almost finished another CSS Halloween build, Now I'll write the blog and maybe make alterations. I find stuff to fix while I write."
"WIN: paired with Raphael Rafatpanah to get my four Hacktoberfest PRs merged! It’s my first Hacktoberfest and happy to contribute finally!"
"WIN: Finished talk for Web Directions AAA and sent all my files in for the talk. Now to wait for the conference."
What our members are up to
We devoted so much of our month to open source contributions, we wanted to take the time to congratulate all of our members on their hardwork this year. We had about 80 pull requests merged into Virtual Coffee, 85 members sign up for our Hacktoberfest Initiative, at least 8 of our members were active maintainers, 23 of our members were official mentors, and Aurelie Verrot and Andrew Bush lead our monthly challenge team! Thank you for all your involvement!
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements
- DRONE - a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology