Virtual Coffee Newsletter, July 2021
What we're up to in July: Demoing in Public ✨
June was great for learning in public and we're carrying that energy into July by demoing all the amazing things we've done!
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
"Huggggeeee thank you to Mike Rogers today, whose package of British treats kept me full during an intensely packed day."
"Grateful to Andrew for supporting me on hosting the building-in-public standups. Thank you!"
"Grateful for Kirk, Abbey and Justin helping me in the standup yesterday. And Abbey for going the extra mile by having everyone help me figure things out."
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Month of Learn in Public
- New members: 27 new members
💡 Monthly Theme & Challenge: Month of Demos!
This month we're all about demoing in public. The idea is to learn to communicate around a project as you demo it, show the finished product or parts, gain confidence, and learn to be proud of any progress made. We'll be weekly check-ins with designated Demo Days where folks can share!
We successfully finished season 2 of the podcast!
🥪 Brownbags and Workshops
These are members-only events that last for 45 - 90 minutes.
- Jul 7, 12:00pm EDT: Call for Proposals (CFP) Workshop
- Jul 16, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag Session: Building a Chrome extension w/ Courtney L.
- Jul 23, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: Introduction to Redis for Application Developers with Simon Prickett
- Jul 26, 12:00pm EDT: Moms In Tech Meetup! hosted by Aurelie V. and Bekah H.W.
- Jul 30, 12:00pm EDT: Brownbag: Security and Compliance 101 with Roger Gentry
Member Blogpost Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in June
- In Praise of Small Online Meet-ups - Ray Deck
- The Ancestral Hall of Side Projects - Jonathan Yeong
- Optimizing Pull Request for Developer Happiness - Mohamed Rafi
- Notes on "Ramping Up At Your First Developer Job" - Sophia Brandt
"I just want to say that I'm so thankful to know so many amazing people here. Thank you for being awesome and caring and patient, and for helping me to grow."
"I’m grateful for VC and a safe place to share without fear. Thankful for my new job and new teammates. Because of VC, I now ask icebreaker questions at our monthly lunches which makes things less awkward. (They didn't seem to do lunches together much before I started)"
"I am grateful that I decided to finally join VC! It has seriously helped my motivation."
What our members are up to
Virtual Coffee is partnering up with Certified Fresh, which is a friendly online meetup for developers. They meet at 1:00 p.m. EDT every other Thursday and bring access to a ton of high-quality speakers and presenters.
- A big thank you to Andrew Bush for his amazing job in spearheading the Month of Learn in Public challenge in June!
- Shoutout to all the members who started new jobs this month! We wish you all the success in your new roles.
Open Source Projects We Love!
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements
- DRONE - a Continuous Delivery system built on container technology