Virtual Coffee Newsletter, April 2021
What we're up to in April: celebrating a year of growth, friends, and Virtual Coffee 💝
We made it a year 🎉 I never would've guessed that a tweet inviting people to talk about the job search would turn into a year of 100+ Virtual Coffees, 2 rounds of Lightning Talks, a Hacktoberfest event, brownbags, bookclubs, member-formed groups, a podcast, this newsletter, an amazing community, and so much more.
I didn't know if anyone would want to hang out for one virtual coffee, let alone more than a hundred.
Thank you all for showing up. Thank you for being a wonderfully supportive community. I'm amazed by everyone here, and I'm so excited for what we have planned and to see what the next year of Virtual Coffee will bring 💖
Hope to see you soon,
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
- This is exactly what makes VC special in my book - one member helping another, and calling on the group when it goes up a level of strangeness (as tech so often does). - Ray
- Just wanted to thank Marie for all her work in the tech study group channel and in the community - Lucia
- Andy bought two copies of De-Coding the Technical Interview Process for members of the community. Thanks Andy!
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Monthly challenge -> Get Job Ready!
- New members: ~29 new members
💡Monthly Challenge: Month of Kindness!
It's our VC-anniversary so we wanted to spend a month focusing on the most important aspect of Virtual Coffee: the kindness and gratitude we show each other on a daily basis. This month, let's let the people who've made a positive impact in our lives know it and support each other in whatever ways we can.
Season Two drops the first week of April!
- April 9, 11:00pm EDT -> Using a Person-centered Approach in Tech - Bekah Hawrot Weigel
- April 16, 10:00pm EDT -> Tell Your Story: A Guide To Public Speaking and Presentations - Andy Ennamorato
- April 23, 12:00pm EDT -> Patch Package: Fix Bugs in Packagers Before Their Release - Justin Noel
Member Blog Post Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in April
- Toggle Dark Mode in React - Abbey Perini
- Why Every Developer Should Care About Documentation - Joshua Tzucker
- Chess and Information Architecture: An Introduction - Jessi Sahakarian
- The tale of the K combinator and the alias method - Aurelie Verrot
- Database Security Checklist for Small Teams - Kirk Shillingford
I did some gratitude journaling this morning, and I wanted to say how grateful I am that I'm a part of the VC community. It's so nice to see friendly faces every week and to talk about interesting topics!"
This group has been great for keeping my spirits up when I'm feeling down. Thanks to all of you for the well wish and encouragement when I've needed it."
What our members are up to
- Drew dropped his dev-themed design shop, ArrayDev
- Sherif, Aurelie, and Meg secured top 5 in the WWCode Philadelphia Coding Tournament and Sherif won the whole thing!!
- Rahat launched the internal beta for his mental health startup!
Open Source Projects We Love!
- VirtualCoffee.io, an 11ty Web App for our community created by Dan Ott
- Protege.dev, a React Web App to help junior devs find remote jobs by Drew Clements
- Postpartum Wellness App, a React Native project by BekahHW