Virtual Coffee Newsletter, January 2021
What we've been up to and where we're going in January!
It’s a brand new year, and Virtual Coffee is here for it. We’re dropping our podcast, starting this newsletter, and hosting tons of community events. We are so happy to have you all here with us 💖
💞 Community Kindness
Spotlighting some of the kindness happening in our community.
- One member offered to anonymously send two copies of James Clear’s Atomic Habits to two members.
- BekahHW wants to thank everyone for their support when her grandfather died. It made a hard time a little better.
- Courtney Landau spent four of her six pairing sessions helping another member with their project.
📆 What's happening at Virtual Coffee
- Check out how our monthly challenge -> Pair up! turned out
- New members: ~33 new members
💡 Monthly Challenge: Month of Learning!
It's a new year and time for learning new things! During this month, we'll work on learning new dev-related things. You might deep-dive into one topic, start a small-group that focuses on community learning, focus on a new topic every week, or do a little bit of everything.
Check out the trailer for our new podcast! New episodes will be dropping soon.
- January 6, 9:00am EST -> git under the hood, @Rafi
- January 15, 12:00pm EST -> Cross Platforms Apps with SwiftUI @Cameron Bardell
- January 22, 11:00am EST Using Supabase in a React (Native) Project, @Justin Noel
- January 27, 12:00pm EST Interview Powerups, from @Gant
Atomic Habits by James Clear will be the reading/discussion book for January and first half of February. Organized by @Karen Dickenson
Mark your calendars: Lightning Talks are making a comeback on February 26, and will be followed by a social hour.
Member Blog Post Highlights
Some of our member posts we loved in December
I just wanted to say that I'm very appreciative of these conversations this week (and every week!). It's a wonderful group we've got here, and I always look forward to the call and checking in on slack each morning.
What our members are up to
- Colleen Schnettler hosts an awesome podcast you should check out: Software Social is a weekly 30-minute conversation between two founders: one just starting out, and one established. Join Colleen and Michele's conversation about what’s going on in their businesses.
- Dominic Duffin co-organizes a weekly Twitter chat with Shannon Crabill on tech, art and design, every Sunday at 1:00pm EST. Twitter: @ArtTechChat #ArtTechChat
- Nick Taylor does live coding pairing sessions on Twitch (Forem related stuff on the DEV stream and anything else on his own stream). He also talks with folks in the tech space on the DEV stream. You can find him on livecoding.ca.
Open Source Projects
- VirtualCoffee.io, our Virtual Coffee community site - Dan Ott - 11ty
- Protege.dev, remote jobs for junior developers - Drew Clements - React
- The Sylar Project, a Mental Health Repository for easily finding local mental health resources - Rahat Chowdhury - React
- Postpartum Wellness App, an app to help moms monitor their well-being during the post-partum stage - BekahHW - React Native
- frontend-dev, Cli tool to setup developer tooling in your frontend repo - Rafi - JS
- Quarto, An implementation of the Quarto boardgame - Kirk Shillingford - Elm
Subscribe to the Virtual Coffee Newsletter