This monthly challenge is complete. Congratulations! Please join us for the next challenge
Monthly Challenge for January, 2021: Month of Learning!
It's a new year and time for learning new things! During this month, we'll work on learning new dev-related things. You might deep-dive into one topic, start a small-group that focuses on community learning, focus on a new topic every week, or do a little bit of everything.
If you're inspired by what you learn and want to share more, we encourage you to give a lightning talk in February!
Month of learning challenge
- Entire month of January
- Four, week-long sprints
To learn something new, share what we've learned, and gather recommendations to share with the community
How it works
- Challenge can be done individually, in self-organized teams, a mixture of both, or some hybrid
- Each week, members choose something they want to learn, the resources they'll use to learn about it, and then dive into learning.
- We encourage you to post your topic and resources for the week in the #monthly-challenge channel in slack, especially if you want to form a group.
- At the end of each week, we'll do the official check-in where you can report on what you've learned:
- Define -> What's the topic?
- Reference -> Resource you used.
- Member name -> If you're working in a group, you can use one PR to list all members. Otherwise, you can list your name!
At the end of the month, we'll collect recommendations of the best tools, guides, and resources we found as we explored our topics for this month's challenge and share it with the whole community.
We're always here to help ❤️
Resources Recommended by Our Members:
Cost: I got it on sale in November, and I couldn't find current pricing
A high-level overview of how machine learning works. It's a good resource for beginners. It breaks down concepts into really easy to understand pieces.
Cost: Free! I borrowed the audiobook from my library.
This is another overview of Deep Learning, but focuses on use cases for the Healthcare Field. It gave a fascinating overview of a lot of different ideas, what's being developed now, what we can expect in the future.
An extremely accessible introduction to React that will get you making something real in no time at all.
A comprehensive guide to Lifecycle Methods in React 16
Cost: I got it on sale for $12.00 USD. I think it's normally $99.00 but udemy has very frequent sales.
A lovely introduction to the typescript language, with lots of focus on practical usage and configuration.
Cost: I got it on sale for $12.00 USD. I think it's normally $129.00 but udemy almost always has sales going on.
From the same presenter as the Typescript course. A very solid introduction to React. Clear presentation. Lots of code examples.